Thursday, October 24, 2013

When God chooses to speak...

There is a couple in my church that recently had a son they named Gabriel. The pregnancy was a nail-biter. Gabriel's parents received troubling news each and every time they would go to prenatal appointments.  I can't recall all of the details, but I know that once they were told Gabriel would have down syndrome and another time that he had problems with his heart.
 
Gabriel was born prematurely at a hospital a couple hours away from home that specializes in baby/children that face serious health issues. Although he was not born with down syndrome, he was born with a cleft palate and heart complications that resulted in open heart surgery at mere days old.  When his parents finally got to bring him home, this beautiful little baby had to have an NG tube (a tube through his nostril to his belly in which he receives his nutrition).
 
I'll never forget the first time that I held Gabriel. There is just something therapeutic about holding a sweet little baby.  In fact, back when I was nursing at the hospital, I remember the "older" nurses encouraging us to visit the baby nursery... particularly after a death.
 
In any event, it's no secret how I've struggled recently... Just the CONSTANT being sick... Hospitalizations... Numerous different medications... Neurologists... Time missed off work... and church... and life. And prayers that haven't been answered.
 
But then, I held baby Gabriel for the first time. As I gazed at his preciously perfect face, I realized that I was never wrong. Everything I ever thought about God IS true! He IS who He says He is!!! He DOES listen to prayers and He IS a tear collector! Here I held a precious little life that really, shouldn't have even been, except that there were numerous prayers lifted up for his life... and God listened.
 
Gabriel's not out of the woods yet, but he is already a testimony. And for me personally, he's truly been a messenger.

No comments: