Sunday, August 25, 2013

Whirlwind of a weekend

Well, it's certainly been one whirlwind of a weekend!
 
Friday morning I saw my 'new' neurologist since last being in the hospital back in July. Used to, anytime that I had a neuro appointment to go to I would feel hopeful, like maybe THIS time we'd find a way to bring my life back to some normalcy. However, this time I was just annoyed. The appointment had been rescheduled by the doctor's office twice. Originally when I scheduled it, I made sure that my doctor would not be working in the office at the time of the appointment so that no other nurse in our office would have to cover for me. But because they kept rescheduling me, I ended up with an appointment time when my doctor was in so another co-worker did have to work with him. I also have reached a point where I just feel defeated.  I feel like this is my life and I just have to learn how to deal with having a migraine, a strong to severe migraine, 4-6 days a week.
 
But when I finally saw my "head" doc, she actually LISTENED to me and asked me all sorts of questions and then fully examined me (something my old neuro doc NEVER did).  This resulted in me breaking down and crying and carrying on.  I totally made a fool out of myself and embarrassed myself, but instantly she asked if I'd ever thought my sudden mood swings could me a result of medication. Back in July, they had raised my Topamax dose. I've been on Topamax for over 5 years, but apparently a rare, yet severe, side effect is mood swings. Thinking about it now, I can see where I have become more withdrawn and depressed, but I thought it was just feelings of defeat over yet again finding no answers to curing or at least improving my quality of life. So, the plan in that I'm being weaned totally off the Topamax and started on Depakote. Since obviously the Midrin and migrainal spray aren't doing anything for me, she's given me Relpax to replace them. And I have to do a stupid steroid dose pack. Ugh.
 
My neuro doc also talked to me about the possibility of starting Botox treatments. Apparently they are shown to be very effective for the treatment of migraines because they relax the muscles in the head that are inflamed causing the migraines in the first place. Downsides are that these treatments are every 3 months and the obvious fact that it's injecting a foreign substance in your head... A lot to think about.
 
So Saturday morning, my husband's attempt of a cure commenced.  Together, we went to our first 3 mile run\walk with a group in our community. He's an avid runner, runs marathons even, and is convinced that exercise is going to "cure" me. We'll see. I struggled during the run, but he stayed by my side and somehow I got through it.
 
Saturday afternoon I went to a jewelry party at the home of an old nursing school friend. It was great to see some old friends, especially since I rarely ever leave my house anymore.
 
But by the time I got home, a severe migraine hit me. Can't tell if it's the withdrawal from the Topamax, or the running, or the fatigue\dehydration from the run. Until next time...

No comments: