Sunday, July 7, 2013

Why, why, WHY???

I believe that there comes a time in one's life when they ask one extremely pivotal question: why. They may add other fluff to it, like, "Why me?" "Why am I here?" But stripped away, all they are really wanting to know is one thing. WHY.

 The Bible is slam full of others that have also asked that ever important question.  There was this prophet named Habakkuk that began his book pretty annoyed with God.  He was saying how long he'd been crying out to God and yet it seemed like God wasn't listening and people were just going crazy anyway and things were going terribly wrong... He was asking why.  Hummm... Funny, I've felt forgotten before too...  Anyway, in chapter 2 Habakkuk states that he's going to stand firm and then suddenly God starts to speak to him... So he got his answer. But it wasn't easy. He first had to go through a time of crying out and feeling ignored. He had to go through a time of feeling like everything that could go wrong, was going wrong. 
 
Of course there is Paul. Good ol' Paul. None of us know what was ailing him, but we DO know that it troubled him enough that he went to God about it three times. I think about him a lot.  I wonder what more he might have done if that 'thorn wasn't in his side', but then I also wonder if that 'thorn' had been removed, would he have fallen?  Afterall, there is a reason that God left it there saying that His grace was sufficient. I think about myself. All the things that I want to do, could do, if I was healthy... But... will this thorn be left in my side?
 
Gideon asked God 'why me' when God wanted to use him to deliver his children. Job certainly asked 'why'. Joseph asked 'why' when his virgin wife got pregnant. Moses asked 'why' to the burning bush. Shall I go on? 
 
God, You eventually spoke to Habakkuk. Speak to me as well. Give me some comfort, Lord, the comfort that only You can give. I don't want to feel ignored anymore. If this 'thorn' is meant to be here forever, give me grace to sustain this. 

No comments: