Friday, May 24, 2013

(Not so happy) Brain Tumor Awareness Month

So May is national Brain Tumor Awareness month. Sad that such a thing exists.

It's been 5 1/2 years and still it doesn't take anything for me to be jolted in "brain tumor" land. Just earlier I found myself doing research on my tumor, juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma. I found, and re-found, some information that I found interesting.
1. JPA's are some of the rarest brain tumors accounting for only 2% of all brain tumors.
2. Astrocytoma's are star shaped. (I like pretty things so much, even my tumor had to be pretty! LOL)
3. These tumors are typically slow-growing with excellent prognosis. :)
4. The most common site for these tumors is in the cerebellum (that's where the bulk of mine was).
5. The cause... still remains a mystery. Although, I am getting more and more convinced that the polluted water at Camp Lejeune played a role...

I miss my friend, Cliff. He was a friend that I'd made when I first started blogging. He was taken away by a brain tumor... Because he walked in the exact path I am walking, he understood... I could talk to him without fear of judgement, or worrying him, or anything like that. Sometimes, it's always best to have someone there that knows right where you are... God's like that. He always know right where you are and better yet, He cares.

No comments: