Saturday, January 23, 2010

When there are giants in the land...

Lately, my husband has been drawn to reading about Joshua (in the Bible). Last night we were with friends and he began to share some things. He was sharing how God had made a promise to Moses, but Moses passed away. Thing was, the chidren of Isreal had not recieved that promise yet, so God raised up Joshua. Basically He told Joshua that He still intended to fulfill all the promises that He'd made to Moses and Joshua was His man.

So, after 40 long years of wondering, the children of Isreal came across... THE PROMISE! I'm sure you know the story. The promise was actually a promised land. Joshua sent out 12 spies to take a look at the land and it's inhabitants. They came back and said, "We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it. Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great..." Numbers 13:27-28 And they went on to say, "And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33

So 10 of them came back saying, "Oh man!!! There are giants in this land! Guess we should just keep on looking cause this land is filled with HUGE people that are bigger and stronger than us. The city is well protected and great. We don't stand a chance."

I've heard a lot of sermons preached on these 10 spies... But one thing is true: they weren't wrong. Those 10 guys might have been a lot of things, but they weren't liars. The land WAS full of giants. There WAS no way that they could overtake such big dudes. THEY weren't strong enough. THEY weren't big enough. THEY couldn't do it.

Oh but 2 of those 12 knew something else. (Numbers 14:6-9) They saw the same giants and they knew their own incapabilities, but they also knew that they had a "secret weapon". They had God on their side! A God bigger than even those giants and stronger too. A God that said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible (for me). Luke 18:27" They had the God of the impossible!!

So I have to look at my life. I'm not wrong - there are things that are just too big for me. I'm not smart enough. I'm not strong enough. I can't do it... But that's okay because greater is He that is in me... There are some looming giants in my land, but I have an even bigger God walking right beside me each step of the way. And the wonderful thing? He is EVERYTHING that I'm not! He IS smart enough! He IS strong enough! He can do ALL things! And He's right beside me...

"Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

No comments: